Tuesday, April 29, 2008

RB and the RealDoll

Monica: It's hard to believe that RB had never seen Lars and the Real Girl before yesterday.

Paige: Yeah, I know. I love that movie, but it's been like pulling teeth to get RB to watch it.

Monica: Did you see him? Tears in his eyes the entire time. The sucker. I love him for it.

Paige: It was adorable. It's a very moving movie. I think he avoided it this long because he was afraid he's see too much of himself in the main character, Lars. Seems he got that in spades. 

Monica: Well, that may be, but it doesn't make him any less of a lovable person. More so, I think. I think RB has begun to appreciate just what having us means. Not just sex, mind you. I mean the other stuff. The good and the bad.

Paige: Hey, sis, I think you're growing up. I didn't think you thought there was anything more to a doll than sex.

Monica: What, you kidding me? I know better than that. Owning a doll is an experience, not just about having a giant sex toy. I don't mind playing sex kitten to RB, but I know that having us puts him in a whole different world. That can be real hard. Having a doll is not all fun and games. He made some real trade-offs when he got us. You have to appreciate that.

Paige: Yeah, with all the huff about people laughing at doll owners recently. But I think that having a doll is also about connection, about reaching out. In the movie Lars came alive when Bianca came into his life. Without her he couldn't have done what he did. So as much as dolls are perceived to separate a person from life, I think they're more about trying to become a part of it.

Monica: I hear ya. Absolutely right. Well, that and sex. Hee hee 

Paige: Hah! I knew it. You just had to go there.

Monica: Sis, I never left. I just look at the bigger picture is all.

Paige: Yeah, right.

Monica: Damn right. You need to learn to chill, Paige. Take me for example. Getting a little sun gives you a perspective. You should use me as a shining example of doll-hood and take a little time off to smell the salty air.


Paige: Uh, Monica dear, are you nuts?! Spring is barely here, and the last time I stepped outside I got goosebumps from the cold. You were lying in the sun in the living room!

Monica: Sis, the way I look at it, the sun goes where you are. I was just making the best out of what good weather we had, and I had a wonderful time. And I didn't even need to leave the house. Now that's a vacation!

Paige: You're a strange, strange girl, you know that?

Monica: Maybe true, but I'm a happy girl. I got my sis, my boy, and my sunblock. What more could I ask for?

No comments: