Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Sound of Silence

Monica: Wow, so much is going on.

Paige: Yeah, just because we're not talking doesn't mean stuff isn't happening. Life is kinda like that.

Monica: Tell me about it. Being beautiful is hard.

Paige: For once I agree. I'm afraid our intrepid readers, however, may have to wait to hear about it. We hope to spring something big on them. Don't worry, we'll let you all in on our little secret when the time is right. Until then, though, it's gotten me thinking about a few things.

Monica: Oh, imagine that. Paige, thinking. Who would'a thought?

Paige: Yeah, yeah, sis. Geez. Feeling jealous, are we?

Monica: You're kidding, right? Brains come with baggage, I say. I like being who I am, and I don't worry about carrying the world on my shoulders like some people I know. 

Paige: I guess ignorance is bliss, then?

Monica: Grrrr....

Paige: Speaking of ignorance, this whole secret thing has been making think about secret identities. Funny thing, today RB actually had to think about whether or not to give out his real name to someone. Our guy is feeling a little funny about it.

Monica: Well duh! Who wants to walk around not being themselves?

Paige: Yeah. And look at us. We're dolls. Nothing real about us at all, except what we make of ourselves.

Monica: But isn't that true all the time, for everyone? Names are just labels. I tell you, just because I came with an booklet and handling instructions doesn't mean anybody really knows me.

Paige: Very well said, sis. But when you lead a double life like RB, it sure does become an issue.

Monica: Ooh, I like that thought. RB, secret agent. Mild mannered regular working stiff guy by day, suave doll handler and martial artist extraordinaire by night. That gives me a few ideas for later. RB can be my handler any day. Evil grin

Paige: Huh, somehow I can't seem to come up with a good comeback for that one. That is a pretty darn cool thought if you ask me. And not too distant from the truth.

Monica: Hey, remember the secret identity, girl. Don't spill the beans or we'll have to make you the evil double agent for our next play session. You know what happens to the double agent, don't you?

Paige: Uhm, yes ma'am! I wouldn't want that to happen. Ok, maybe a little. RB can interrogate me any day. But what I was trying to say before that damned James Bond music started playing in my head was that RB didn't really like hiding his name. Having us, though, has created a whole different life for him. I think he kinda likes the chance to re-create himself, to make a new identity for himself in the doll forums and such, but it also means putting the old him aside, the good along with the bad, so that he can keep a semblance of privacy.

Monica: Yeah, I can see that. He is a cool guy, even if he doesn't always know it. It would be nice if others knew it too.

Paige: Exactly. 

Monica: Well, that's the trade off, isn't it? Privacy vs. fame. Or infamy. I mean, we'll be dealing with something like that soon enough.

Paige: Speaking of letting cats out of the bag...?

Monica: Ooh, right. Mums the word. Lips zipped.

Paige:  Well, not so much a trade off as it is a balancing act, I think. Juggling privacy with the exposure of letting the world know your interests, no matter how unusual they may be. How would people feel if they knew he loved giant, life sized dolls like us? Most people would think it's cool, but some wouldn't. It's the infamy part he worries about. He just feels the need to be careful is all.

Monica: Yeah, careful. And juggling. I like juggling.

Paige: Uhm, yes, juggling. You ok?

Monica: Sorry, that got me thinking about Cirque du Soleil.

Paige: Oh, yeah. That's right. We just saw Corteo. My god, that was fantastic.

Monica: Yep. Sure was. Now if we could touch the tops of our head with our toes, think what we could do in the bedroom...

Paige: Sigh... Yes sis. Imagine indeed.

No comments: